Sunday, January 11, 2009

a dream image of a perfect moment.

Once when i was about 12 I'd been having a dream that involved an ever expanding bedroom - I was laying in the bed in the dream- and a tree, and birds, and it was absolutely insane. I'd been having the dream for at least 2 years.

A week later I was alone, in an orange and black stripped lawn chair in the woods near this river in El Salvador. A little black bird flew up from beyond the bluff i was on, and it perched in the tree next to me. The tree was less than 3 feet away, no bid deal. Right? Maybe. But then there was another bird. Then two by two. four by four. six by six. Until there were at least, and here is were I keep reminding myself that I am not exaggerating, 100 of these little black bastards. They looked like finches. I wonder if finches can be black. So many black finches that there was no space left on the tree's limbs for any more. So before I ran away in fear, I had that perfect moment; fear, elation, pride (maybe i'd willed them there?), joy, confusion, ect. My mind was absolutely tabula rasa, but I felt every emotion i'd ever imagined. Raw feeling in the gut, but not the gut. Feeling full and empty. Beyond my definition of reality. Then the moment was gone and so was I.

No comments: